Monday, January 10, 2011

Secret Service embarrised to investigate political dissent

Jacob Volkmann, UFC fighter, gets visit from Secret Service after saying he wants to fight Obama
Original Post: NY Daily News

By Nina Mandell
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

John McCain's not the only one in Washington a little down on Ultimate Fighting.

The Secret Service doesn't seem to be big fans either.

Jacob Volkmann, a UFC lightweight, got a visit from the agency after declaring in a post-fight interview that he wants to fight President Obama because he disagrees with his health care policy.

What happened next shocked the 30-year-old Minnesota-based fighter.

After an unknown source reported his remarks to the Secret Service (who decided it was legit enough for a follow up), an officer was sent to pay Volkmann a visit, he told MMA Weekly.

When the officer showed up on Tuesday, Volkmann was busy coaching a youth practice.

"One of the other coaches that was helping me out, they said there was a cop and another guy out there waiting for me," he told the website.

When he went outside, a Secret Service agent was waiting -- with a picture of the fighter and his exact quotes on a piece of paper.

"He was like 'is this what you said?' and I said, 'yes it is.' He's like 'I want to let you know I'm a little embarrassed for coming here and doing this because obviously nothing happened.' He actually apologized for coming, but he had to come. He wanted to make sure I wasn't going to D.C to hurt the President," Volkmann said.

Volkmann told the website he thinks that a member of Obama's campaign team sent him an email threatening to tell the Secret Service and FBI about his controversial remarks.

But the outspoken fighter, who works as a chiropractor when he doesn't have people in choke holds, said he doesn't mind speaking out on what he believes in -- and won't let a visit from the Secret Service stop him.

"People were misunderstanding the point of view I was going for with the health care plan," he told MMA Weekly. "I'm thinking about the provider, I'm a chiropractor, so I'm thinking about my point of view, not everyone getting insurance. They don't have to worry about getting denied, which is good I guess, just not good for health care providers."

No comments:

Post a Comment